In 1835 a whaling station was established on the island and purchased by John Griffiths, after whom the island was named. Sealers had also established themselves on Griffiths Island. Overhunting resulted in both activities failing before 1850. There is now a land crossing to the island and a combination of paths and beaches allows a walk around the island.
The small Lighthouse was built around 1860. It is now an automated light.
From October to May the island is home to about 30,000 Shearwaters. The best time for viewing is at dusk when the adults return from the sea to feed their young, great when staying overnight in Port Fairy. There is a viewing platform.Tweet
< Back to Map